Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Batman Arkham City

This is a great game, but I would not have given it a perfect score.   I do agree with all the 9/10's out there, its a beautiful game, has a kick ass story and free roam mode that is a lot of fun, great voice acting and all that jazz, but there is something missing that is keeping this game from getting that perfect score.

I love all the extras they put in the game.   400+ Riddler Trophies are awesome, but if you don't want to find them all, you don't have to.  The Catwoman levels are great (as long as you bought a new copy of the game, which I think is fair).  The Challenge and Campaign maps are a nice touch too.  Having said all that, here are my gripes with this game...

First off, and very important to me, no Co-op gameplay.  How sweet would it have been to go through the story mode with the duo of Batman and Robin?  Drop in / Drop out co op play would have been great, I know it wouldn't be easy for Rocksteady to do, but it would have been possible, and it would have made the game epic.  At the very least, give us some co op in the Riddler Challenges.  A great game like this is that much better when I can enjoy it with a friend.  With all the great games that have come out this year, and some that are still yet to come within the next few months, I would have GLADLY waited another year for this game, just for some co op.  It probably wouldn't have taken them that long.

After all the reviews I've read, all the praise this game got, it seems I'm the only person out there who thinks those Challenge maps are boring, although I do understand the appeal.  I know a lot of people out there love to try and get that combat multiplier up as high as they can get it, and if you love doing that, then great.  But damn, I just can't get into those.  I'll do one map, try it 2-3 times, and that's it, I'm back in Free Roam finding more Riddler Trophies, (I've beaten the story mode and all the other side missions).  To me, having wave after wave of enemies is the same thing, no matter where its happening, whether it be on a rooftop, or in a room or wherever.  After a few minutes of that, I'm done.  

Now I'd like to talk about the DLC that has been announced.  More Challenge maps.  Ugh.  DLC pack 1, the Nightwing pack.  Awesome, we get to be Nightwing, what sucks is no Nightwing in Free Roam.  Challenge Maps only.  2 new Challenge maps come with this pack, which I could not care less about.  DLC pack 2, from what I've read, is more Catwoman Story mode missions.  For me, this is where its at.  I want more Story Missions.  I'd prefer Batman missions, but I'll take, and pay for more Catwoman missions.  DLC pack 3 is a Robin pack.  Again, awesome that we get to play as Robin, but lame that there is no playable Robin in Free Roam, and not interested in more Challenge maps.  I've read that these packs are going to be $7 each, I'm not so sure that pack 1 and 3 are going to be worth the money.  I really think Rocksteady should have taken some extra time and give what a lot of us want, and thats more Story missions and more playable Free Roam Characters.  I really hope they have some unannounced DLC planned for the future, instead of making us wait 2-3 years for the next game.

No matter what happens with the DLC, this is indeed a great game as is, a must buy, and is definitely worthy of a 9 out of 10, shy of that perfect score.  Even though I think the Challenge Maps are boring, they are something EXTRA to do in the game, and a lot of people love them.

No comments:

Post a Comment