Monday, December 19, 2011

How the Xbox 360 Achievements Extend My Gaming Experience.

I'm what a lot of gamers out there call an "Achievement Whore".  I admit, I love hearing the sound of an achievement being unlocked.  That good 'ol 'kerplunk' sound.  Hell, just earlier this evening, I had my 6 year old son help me get all the "chievies" in Air Band for Kinect, some of the easiest 50 points I've gotten in a long time.  And I love checking out my gamerscore after each unlock.  Every time I break another thousand points is like a mini milestone to me.  But its not only about making that number go up.  I really feel like I'm getting more bang for my buck with these games, especially new releases that we are paying $60 a pop for, like the more recent Gears Of War 3.  After about 3 months of playing GOW3, I finally got the "That's Just Crazy" achievement, which is "Completed all campaign Acts on Insane Difficulty".  I was pretty damn happy, (especially since that earned me the MI: Ghost Protocol weapons skin, which we all have until Dec 24th to do).

So, besides some multiplayer verses matches, is that it for GOW3?  HELL NO!  I still have some work to do!  The next achievement in my sights?  "We Few, We Happy Few..." which is for completing all Campaign Acts in 4 player Co-Op, oh, and along the way, I'm going for "Remember The Fallen" and "Hoarder", and still quite a ways to go after that to get all 1000 points (more with the 2 DLC packs, and still more to come).  Some people might fight through a campaign on the normal or casual difficulty, play some verses matches (if the game has it) and that's it (unless down the road some DLC arrives), on to the next game, and that's fine.  Hopefully those people feel satisfied with just a 12 hour or so campaign.  I mean, not to get off topic too much, but I LOVE me a good campaign story.  The verses mode is indeed a lot of fun, but after a few matches of getting my ass kicked by a bunch of dudes who already reached the maximum level (100), I'm done.  In these past 3 months, I've definitely spent more time in the campaign than I have in verses multiplayer modes.  The fact that GOW3 has a 4 player Co-Op campaign makes it that much more fun.  So far, I've must have gone through the campaign 3 times, having a blast during every minute, and unlocking achievements along each way.  If the different achievements were not there, I probably wouldn't bother playing campaign chapters over and over again.  Like I said, even though I'm "Achievement Whoring", I'm STILL having a blast playing these missions multiple times.

Newer games aren't the only ones that I'm getting more for my money with because of achievements.  A lot of times, I go back to older games that I haven't played in months, sometimes a year or more!  Like Call Of Duty 4: Modern Warfare.  As I'm sure you know, Modern Warfare 3 just came out last month.  COD 4 came out 4 years ago!  Well, back in early November, anticipating MW3 coming out, I went back to COD 4 and got those last few Veteran Campaign achievements that I needed, giving me 980/1000 gamerscore for that game.  The last time I unlocked an achievement in that game?  EXACTLY 3 years prior to my return to the game.  "Bird On The Ground" unlocked on 11/9/2008, and then "The Third Horseman" unlocked on 11/9/2011, and no, I did not plan that.

Of course, there are Achievement haters out there.  Of course.  There are people out there who hate puppies, so there are bound to be people who hate the whole Achievement system.  They say things like "They are annoying" or "distracting", or will go on how your gamerscore really means nothing, and will ask what you will do with it years from now, blah blah blah.  Who cares, right?  Well, to those people, all I say is "Just ignore them!!!".  Don't look at them!  When one unlocks, a tiny notification pops on the screen for a whole 5 seconds! Get over it!  Its an EXTRA feature that comes with every game!  Stop complaining over something that you say is "nothing!".  Nobody is forcing you to compare them with your friends or to check your gamerscore!!

No comments:

Post a Comment